Saturday, November 8, 2008

Telling the Story

Do you journal on your layouts? If not, why not? Do you not like your hand writing? Does it take too long (either on the computer or hand writing)? Are you just a pictorial scrapper? Do you not know what to write? Do you think you'll always remember the story and can repeat it to whoever sees the album? For me, it used to be all the above...until I received the world's best scrapbook from my daughter's "Three's Teacher" at day care: Mrs. Marie. When I first looked at the scrapbook (without reading the journaling), it was nice. I glanced at the journaling (done on address labels) and remember saying, "Nice address labels." Not a nice reaction, and I'm very embarrassed by it. But I tell you this because once I read the journaling, it changed me...I'm now a journaler! And I encourage everyone I know to journal, too.

Why did this change me? I read things in that scrapbook that I'd never known about my daughter and that I didn't even notice about her 3-year old art work. One of them was a note that pointed out Erica was trying to write her own name on her art work. See, the teachers always did that so the art would go home with the correct child. Erica tried to do it on her own for this particular page in the scrapbook. I cried when I read that. How many times had Erica tried writing her name and I didn't notice it before? And how much art work had I thrown away not even realizing it? There was a story I wouldn't have even know had the journaling not been done. THIS IS WHY I JOURNAL!!!

So I have a story to tell and I'm still not sure how to tell it...it's the story of Erica starting Kindergarten in 2008. It will likely be hidden journaling added to this page, or maybe typed from the computer and added to a second page (since it's such a long and important story to me). Why is this such an important story? Erica was not old enough to start school this year. BUT, her birthday fell in the trial period (first two weeks of the cutoff month) where she was allowed to be tested to see if she could start provisionally for 4 weeks. In order to do this, she had to undergo a long and difficult test sequence that took nearly 4-hours...wow!!! Not only that, she had to score in the top 2% to "pass." I always knew she was bright, but even I wasn't convinced she was in the top 2%...she is!!! So far she's doing great...she even "gets school" as her teacher told us in our first parent-teacher conference. We're so proud of her...and amazed at the things Kindergartners are learning these days.

No comments: