Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Can I do this???

As I posted a few weeks ago, I recently started running with a friend of mine (Erica's God Mother). I am VERY SLOW...I don't even want to tell you how long it took us to finish the 5K in Feb (I think I already said my mile pace was in double digits, though). Anyway, we signed up for a running group with a trainer. The pace groups are based on your 10K pace. WHAT?!? I have never even run a 10K. How do I know what my pace is?!? So I started in the slowest published pace she has listed: the 11 minute mile group (or as I call it, " the All Others" group because the next slower person is 9:30). Fortunately two more ladies joined after me and I have company now...I'm more of a social runner, so running by myself was really not much fun.

I also started running with a neighbor on Mon and Wed right after work. She's VERY organized...plans everything. Now I know I'll be running at least twice a week...can't let Tracie down!!! I feel a little bad, though...she's a better runner than me and I know I'm holding her back. Hopefully I'll build up my strength and will be able to keep up with her a little better.

And speaking of keeping up. The trainer that heads up the running group I'm with also does individual training. Her website says she has a waiting list. So I asked her about it last night...here was the conversation:

Me: "So I see you have a waiting list for training."

Lisa: "Well, that's a loose waiting list..."

Me: "What do you mean?"

Lisa: "Two people dropped yesterday, so I have room...do you have a particular race in mind?"

Me: "What do you mean?"

Lisa: "I only train people to reach a goal for a particular race"

Me: "Oh...well...I really wanted to run a 10K this year, but that seems wimpy. And the Humpy's Half Marathon (in August) seems like it's a bit aggressive for me at this point."

Lisa: "There's a Half Marathon in Jan..."

Me: "Really?"

Lisa: "...in Phoenix..."

Me: "Really? Wow...that might be perfect, 'cuz I like to take a winter break each year for a Spa trip to Scottsdale..."

Lisa: "Check it out and let me know what you think..."

O...M...G...am I gonna really do this?!? I know I posted on the "Me Work" layout that I wanted to do one, but that was kinda just out there...I didn't really think I'd start REALLY training for one. WOW...I actually think I'm going to give it a try!!! Wish me luck...and my Spa buddy (Kelly) will hopefully be able to do the spa with me around the same time and take some pix!!!

2 comments:

Dalon said...

YES YOU CAN!!!! (are you SERIOUS?! WOOHOO!!!) Good for you my friend - this is a SIGN you know! Things really do happen for a reason - there was a reason you called that gal at this point in time - and there is definitely a reason this run is in Arizona!!!!!!

Holli said...

Awesome. I 'sort of' wish i still lived up there - I would join you! But I know you can do it, GO FOR IT!!