Thursday, June 18, 2009

The first in Alaska!!!

Erica has the FIRST Diamond Nuclear Ice Pink Digital Camo BOW in Alaska! Ha...if any of you know what the heck I just typed, I'm sorry!!! Seriously, though...it's the cutest thing! Check out the description at the Bowtech link if you're interested. Jeff had the Archery Shop guy (Mr Paul) order it a while ago and it came in this week. He's closed on Mon and Tues, so we went yesterday. I called to confirm it was in (very cryptic conversation about a small pink thing) and we went right after work....with Camera!

So we got there and it was the typical visit: Jeff gets set up, Mr Paul is helping another guy in the shop, so Erica waits to get set up (he has always let her use a left hand youth bow, but she has to wait for him to get it for her). While he's helping the other guy, he's tweaking the bow (some technical bow stuff, but I have no clue what). He calls her over at one point to have her test the pull and she's in total awe of the bow. He continues to tweak it while she waits patiently. We go and watch Jeff shoot and she tells him she wants the bow and asks if she can go home to get her piggy bank and buy it. Jeff suggests that she test it out and see how she likes it first. She was surprisingly OK with that.

Jeff takes a break and walks down the range to get his arrows. Erica joins him. I'm just hanging out...and all of a sudden, I see them talking in the middle of the range. Jeff is hunched over and Erica is just standing there listening. I grab the camera cuz I know he's telling her...and then she kinda jumps and does this little half squat with her arms flopping and must've said, "what?!?" Then she leans over and kisses him...yup, he told her! So she comes back to me and "informs" me of her early present.

Mr Paul got her bow all tweaked and she started shooting...whap...the arrows fling thru the air just like when Jeff shoots! WOW!!! On her first shot, the strings snapped her forearm...ouch. Jeff reminds her to bend her arm a little, but I think I see a forearm guard in her future. The picture in the link doesn't show it, but there's a circle thing with three different color pins that help you aim at things at different distances (don't you love my technical terms?). Jeff taught her how to line up the target with the sights. Then he taught her to make sure the bow string touches the tip of her nose (I guess that's how you make sure she's aiming straight?). And we always have to remind her to keep her feet standing right...whew, so many things to think about. But when she does, she gets really good groupings.

So that was our Wed night...and now I have even MORE pictures to scrap. I'm gonna need a weekend retreat!!! Anyone got any ideas???

2 comments:

Dalon said...

Oh this is SO neat!!! Makes me think it's time for Payton to get acquainted with the bow - Alan used to hunt with one, but I think it's been a while. What a big girl you have there!!! And she now has a pink bow to boot! WOOHOO!! I'm SO with you on a weekend getaway - only problem for me is that summers are too busy - keep me posted on any you hear about. :-) (great job on having the camera WITH you mom!!!)

Debbie said...

How Cute Her Own Pink Bow...do I see a future Olympican?
Interested in a weekend in my motorhome to scrap? We'd have to try and not bring EVERYTHING but sounds like FUN to me. Perhaps we can get couple others to join with their own RV's?