Friday, June 5, 2009

How do you scrap?

And I don't mean this as what type of scrap "style" do you have? I mean:
  1. Do you scrap alone or with others
  2. Are you a "get 'er done" scrapper or do you just go with the flow
  3. What about snacks or drinks? I guess that might go along with how you answer 1 and 2...

For those of you who know me (or follow the blog much), you know I am a social scrapper!!! Some times I just want to "get 'er done" and other times I just go with the flow...mostly I'm a flow-er (vs a flower) I think. It takes quite a bit of time for me to do a single layout (and Jeff picks on me about that). As for snacks and drinks, YES! Especially the drinks...another thing Jeff picks on me about: "I'm sure glad I don't have to drink to have fun" is what he usually says.

So what's the point of all this? Just for a little fun. I was at a work mixer earlier this week and had a request for my mojito recipe...which I call "Michelle's soon to be famous Mojito"...and I thought I'd also post it on my blog. I usually have friends come over once a month to scrap and "bribe" them with my mojitos (again, Jeff laughs at me...saying it's similar to having to tie a steak around my neck for a dog to play with me...am I painting a fun picture of him??? He really is a great guy, don't get the wrong idea!!!). I have to be honest and say it's not MY recipe...it's from The Mojito Company and it's the Miami Mojito on their how to make a mojito link. By the way, if you are a mojito fan, GET THIS MUDDLER!!! You will be happy you did!!! So here's the recipe from the website above (I've added a few of my own comments on how I like the recipe).

The Miami Mojito (Mojito with Simple Syrup)
Simple syrup is essentially “sugar water” made by dissolving sugar in boiling water. Simple syrup makes the mojito with the smoothest texture, as the sugar particles have already been dissolved before assembling the mojito. Simple syrup is very sweet – so for those seeking very sweet drinks, this is a good choice for making the mojito.

½ lime, quartered
5-6 fresh mint leaves
Crushed Ice (I actually use regular sized cubes and like it better)
2 ounces White/light rum (Use Bicardi Limon...IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE!!!)
1 ounce simple syrup*
2 drops bitters
3 ounces Club Soda

* Simple Sugar Syrup:
1 cup water
1 cup sugar

Bring water and sugar to a low boil and cook for 2-3 minutes until sugar dissolves. Water will appear slightly cloudy, but will become clear as it cools. Cool to room temperature. Store in the refrigerator in a squeeze bottle or airtight container. If properly sealed, the syrup will keep up to 2 weeks. One batch will make about 12 mojitos.

Muddle lime and mint in the bottom of a tall glass (I put the mint in first and then the lime...as you muddle, the lime with juice nicely and the rind will "bruise" the mint, bringing out the essence of the mint!) . Add light rum, simple syrup, and bitters. Fill the glass to the top with ice. Top with club soda. Cover the glass with a shaker tin or transfer the mixture to a shaker and shake for 5-6 seconds. (If desired) Garnish with lime wedge, mint sprig, and sugar cane swizzle stick.

2 comments:

DebbieS said...

Wish you would of posted this on Wednesday.....I am in Talkeetna for the weekend and would of LOVED to have a Mojito or three....instead we have Bloody Mary's. Setting up my own blog so you can follow me eventually.

Dalon said...

oh yeah!!!! thanks for sharing your mixture!!! those were pretty good :-) I may have to try and make them myself - have been thinking of having a crop at my place to get some people (beginners) interested if I can ... summers are crazy - I'll keep you posted ;-)