Sunday, March 15, 2009

Caught without my camera!!!

Ugh!!! Can you believe it? I just experienced a once in a lifetime moment and I HAD NO CAMERA. Me--the woman that stages family fun--had no camera. So let me tell you about it since I can't SHOW it to you (hrump!).

If you don't already know, Jeff is a HUGE FANATICAL HUNTER. He shoots pistols, rifles, shotguns, and bows (is there anything he doesn't shoot? Don't tell him if there is...I'm sure he'll get into it). Anyway, he bought an elk hunt in Colorado (I think) for this fall and now he needs some work done on his bow. Today he wanted to pick it up from the shop and make it a family event. WHAT??? A family event at the bow shop??? OK, so we went and it turns out the shop is also an indoor range.

So here's the good part...The manager/owner took some time to teach Erica how to shoot a cute little bow (ugh...and me with no camera). She was not a natural at the bow like she was with her .22, but she really enjoyed it! After a few practice shots, he put a PINK BALLOON on the target for her to shoot. She had a bit of difficulty due to closing her wrong eye. She's right-handed, but she's left eye dominant and shoots her .22 as a lefty. BUT, with the bow, she was shooting as a righty. At one point, all five arrows were in about a 4" grouping and about 18" to the left of the balloon. What a GREAT grouping, if nothing else. Jeff noticed the eye thing and tried to work with her on closing the other one. She got the arrows lined up MUCH better. Then "Mr Paul" brought out a lefty bow. She had better luck being on target, but it was awkward for her in getting the arrow set (because of the lefty thing). Needless to say, she had a BLAST and we'll be back. I will have my camera the next time...and will PRETEND it was the FIRST time she did it (shhh...don't tell anyone!).

Jeff was anxious for Erica to call Grandma and Grandpa to tell them about her new adventure, but she wanted nothing to do with that. She said she wanted to keep it a secret and show Grandpa when he came up this summer. She's no good at keeping secrets (and I'm even worse, as you can see from this post), so we'll see how long it lasts. Grandpa, if you read this, FORGET IT!!!

4 comments:

Dalon said...

oh how cute!!! love your post - and how was it exactly that you were caught without a camera?! oh the shame!!! ha ;-) great story thought, and now that you've put it in a post, you will have your journaling when you do your layout :-)

Paper Memories said...

I posted this on ACB but in case you don't see it...You posted about going to CHA because DH planned a big trip. Is this the trip, to CO Elk hunting?? That is the exact same reason I am justifying my CHA trip. My DH just planned a big Elk hunt in CO for this fall too!! Isn't that wild!! We have the exact same reasons to go to CHA this year!!

Elisabeth said...

LOL, haven't we all fibbed a bit at some point for the sake of a good story on a LO?

Anonymous said...

Oh man I hate it when I forget my camera! Your story is almost just as good though. :)