Monday, March 30, 2009

Reminiscing

Isn't it funny how the mind works? You see or hear something that triggers your mind to wander from topic to topic and all of a sudden a flood of memories comes rushing thru. That's what happened to me this morning.

I was reading the blog of another scrapper, Becky June, and it reminded me of something I did when I was growing up. Her post from yesterday "Hack Job" really got me thinking:

Growing up, my mom always cut my hair. Do you remember when Fritos came in a can? I tried searching the web for a picture, but came up empty…hrumph. Anyway, I remember Fritos used to come in a BIG ole' can the size of a large can of coffee in the early 70s. That's what I used to sit on to get my hair cut (hee, hee). My dad was in the Air Force when I was growing up. When I was about three years old, we lived in Germany in an apartment-style building with lots of other military families (as I remember it). There was a friend of mine that lived across the hall or down the hall, who was about the same age as me and we played together quite often. Her mom used to put her hair in several braided pig tails. One day we were playing barber shop (not sure where our moms were). I had taken two of her pig tails and cut them off at the roots (ugh!) and she was in the process of cutting my bangs when my mom came in. Funny, I don't remember the rest of what happened, other than I cried….

As my mind continued wandering, it got onto names. I can't remember if this friend who I cut her hair was the one or not, but there was a gal who was also named Michelle in the apartment building. Several years later, when I was in the fourth grade, my dad was transferred back to Germany (I think he was actually a few years before that, but I can't remember exactly when). My fourth grade class had FOUR Michelle's in it...my mom tells me one of those Michelle's was a friend of mine when we were in Germany...

And then that got me to thinking about songs...because of how I was named. Gee, go figure...What band was popular in the mid to late 60s (no wonder there were so many Michelle's in my class). My dad named me after a popular Beetle's song...and he'll tell you the proper way to pronounce my name is Meee-shell. What is the first real song you remember growing up? For me, I remember two of them...and I'm not sure I really know their titles. One is a song my dad used to sing to me (or I remember him singing it a few times I just thought it was to me...hee, hee): "Did you happen to see the most beautiful girl in the world..." The other is a song my brother and I used to sing: "Rhinestone Cowboy."

Ah...my brain could go on an on as I continue to wander...but I won't bore you with my ramblings...thanks for sticking around this long if you read all the way to the end...and happy reminiscing to you!!!

1 comment:

Dalon said...

this is just wonderful!!!!!! you had best print this post and make a layout (or two!) from it ... I can definitely picture the hair cutting issue (although I was lucky enough to only cut dolls hair - my mom would have truly killed me if I touched my sisters golden locks! ha!!) ... and the music?! OH the music!!!!!! I hear songs these days and they put me right back to 1978 in the summer when we were outside playing ... GREAT POST MY FRIEND!!