Monday, March 23, 2009

Mt Redoubt Erupts

I'm not sure how many non-Alaskans follow this, but it's been big for a few months here. Mt Redoubt erupted in 1990 (I think that was the last one) and nearly brought down a full-sized passenger plane due to the ash in the engines. Well, it's been going back and forth from orange to yellow for several months. Late last night it finally erupted...and did so FIVE times until the morning.

There's no immediate ash impact to the Anchorage area (thanks to *good* winds), but parts of "the Valley" (north of Anchorage) are expecting about a dime's width of ash fall. I'm not sure if it's just because I know the eruption happened, but my asthma seems to be a bit touchy today...maybe it's just the stress of the eruption that's done it. This morning at least 19 flights were cancelled into and out of the Anchorage Airport...and the flights to and from the North Slope (waaay up north in the oil fields) were all cancelled today, too.

Check out this link for more info if you're interested.

1 comment:

Dalon said...

oh great post!!! it never occurred to me that family in the lower 48 might be interested in this ... duh!! ;-) although I don't want to experience the ash-fall here, I was almost hoping for an "all things cancelled" day - ha!