Tuesday, August 4, 2009

First 10K

Well, I ran my first 10K this weekend. I've run two before, but never the whole thing without stopping. I didn't do as well as I hoped, but I met my goals, so I should be happy with that. My goals were to run the whole thing and do it in less than 1:12…I JUST beat that at 1:10:40 (according to official time…but my stop watch said under 1:09). I got a calf cramp at mile 2-1/2 and the toes in my right foot fell asleep at mile 5-1/2 (I have a neuroma, so I think that was the problem). My body was willing me to stop the last 1/4 mile because it was a STEEP INCLINE. But I kept telling myself I had to stay with Tracee...and we were almost there. We even managed to sprint the last 50 meters. What kept me going was that nobody passed us the whole run (after everyone spread out at the start) and toward the end we started passing people that went too fast for their true pace…that feels good to me, for some reason.

Anyway, here's the link to the run and results: http://www.peakperformerstc.org/10kClassic/results.html

And two weeks ago I ran my first 5 mile run. I finished at 55:50 (pretty close to my stop watch time of 55:45): http://www.ustooak.com/mensrun/index.html
Looking at the age group standings, I'm not last, but I'm toward the bottom.

I start my "formal training" today, so we'll see what happens. Just over five months to the Rock and Roll Half Marathon in Phoenix...that's the end goal (at least for now).

1 comment:

Debbie said...

WAY TO GO, GIRLFRIEND.
Finally able to catch up on all your postings. Great layouts-you've been busy scrapping!