Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First Day as a First Grader

School started last week...for the Second Graders and up. This year the school district implemented a new program where the First Graders start a week after everyone else for the teachers to do a reading assessment on each child before school starts. The PTA hosted a picnic last week for the families to meet the teachers (and for Kindergartners and First Graders to schedule their meetings). We learned last week that Erica is in a combined First/Second Grade class. We asked her teacher about how she was put in the class and she said it was based on academic skills, social skills, and her ability to work independently. VERY exciting!!!

So today was her first day!!! The night before she had me get her "grown up outfit" out and ready for her. Once again, she woke up before we got her up...at least this time she slept thru the night and didn't get us up every two hours. She was soooo excited this morning. I hope this lasts. She did everything we asked of her today...and with gusto! And when she was ready, she looked like such a BIG GIRL!!!

Last year we started a tradition of going to the Muffin Man for breakfast before school...so of course, we had to do that again this year. She wanted me to take her to school, but I wanted her to go on the bus...so we did both and I followed her to school. It wasn't a very eventful first day this year...other than me being one of only a few First Grade parents there (I felt like a dork, but I was there for my daughter, right?).

When we picked her up she didn't have much to say other than her day was perfect and her teacher was perfect. I love that she is enjoying school.

1 comment:

Dalon said...

what a happy little girl you have :-) (isn't it great that it really doesn't take much to make us real happy???) so glad she is enjoying school and her teacher! (we're SO ready for preschool - ACK!)