Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Dec Daily...Dec 1

Well, I didn't get to post this yesterday so I'm a bit late, sorry. I'm going to try and keep track of my Dec Daily on my blog. I think it's going to me melded a bit with the Holidays in Hand class I took from Jessica Sprague.

So Dec 1 I was supposed to take a "Welcome to Dec" pix of everyone in the family...didn't do that. Jeff shoots in a trap league on Tues and Erica had girl scouts. So I'll do this on the weekend. But the GS meeting had a WONDERFUL thing for me to put in the Dec Daily mini album:

A friend of mine is battling breast cancer. She's a very busy, involved, and sweet woman. One of the things she's been involved with is a partnership with a local Army platoon at Ft Richardson that is deployed. She was considering letting go of her partnership due to the time and effort involved, but ended up keeping it when they reached out to her...it was a VERY touching story for me to read on Veteran's Day. Anyway, she asked her friends and family who have been following her journey to send letters, cards, care packages, etc to them as a special thank you for their support to her.

Mixed in with this timing, our GS troop has been looking for a service project. Well, when I heard this, I knew it was the perfect project for our girls. Juliette Gordon Low is the founder of Girl Scouts America. She was born on Oct 31. Oct is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Juliette Gordon Low lost her battle to breast cancer. My friend had a double mastectomy on Oct 31. Wow...it was meant to be.

Sooooo...last night was a meeting night and the girls made Christmas postcards, homemade Christmas ornaments, and brought extra goodies like a mini tree (for the ornaments), chap stick, individual drink mixes, hard candy, jerky, mini hand lotions, etc. We will be sending a BIG care package to the platoon this weekend.

What a great service project for the girls!!! And it had a good holiday foundation...so that's my Dec Daily for Dec 1. Now, I just need to figure out how to capture all that in a mini album...ugh!

1 comment:

Dalon said...

I say grab one of those 4x6 albums, get a few embellies and matching cardstock, and make it SIMPLE - then you can complete it quickly and enjoy it longer :-)