Thursday, January 28, 2010

Erica's non-name...journal with a letter

As I've posted before, I'm taking a class from Cathy Zielske called Design Your Life. You haven't seen much lately because I'm soooooo far behind it's not funny. OK...off that topic and onto why I first brought up Cathy. Cathy suggests that when you can't think of what to say on a layout, to write a letter to the person you scrapped. So, this is the letter I wrote on this layout (which is a sketch by Cathy Zielske for the Design Your Life Class at Big Picture Scrapbooking):

"Erica, you know your name comes from Daddy's first name and Mommy's middle name. But do you know the story of why we didn't pick the other name we had considered? We were torn between Gabriella Erica and Erica Ann. Daddy's family has a tradition of naming their kids with "G" first names and "E" middle names. We both liked Erica or Erin for a middle name. But we struggled for a first name. When I was in the delivery room, we still hadn't picked a name. The only one I was remotely OK with was Gabriella Erin. One night when Daddy was home and I was still in the hospital, I was trying to calm you down from crying. I asked you if you wanted to be called Gabriella Erin or Erica Ann. I paused at each name to get your reaction. You calmed down when I said Erica Ann, so I KNEW that was what we needed to name you. Besides, I didn't want to name you Gabriella because I really didn't want people to call you Gabby. Little did I know the name Gabby would fit you PERFECTLY. Love, Mommy"

This is another digital layout. All digital elements are from the Digital Scrapbook Memories Playground collection.

2 comments:

Dalon said...

THIS is GREAT!!!! what a wonderful way to get a story out - there are many stories I want to write down, but don't necessarily have photos that match - fantastic idea - thanks for sharing :-)

Dalon said...

BTW - I've recently discovered sprinkles as my new best friend - well, the boys new best friend I should say ;-)