Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My Holiday Values and Goals

I signed up for a Holidays In Hand class with Jessica Sprague Online...hopefully you can see that link since it's from my classes. Anyway, the gist of the class is to help us tell the stories of our holidays (past and present). Our first assignment is to make a list of our holiday values and then create specific goals associated with each one. As I look thru mine, they really seem to be pretty superficial. Hopefully these will "morph" thru the years and grow into something more...for now, I think this is the best I've got:
  • family – minimize individual activities in Dec (scrapbooking, shooting, etc) and focus on family activities (cookies, movies, crafts, reading, game night, etc).
  • tradition – establish a solid family tradition (ex: open presents from family on Christmas Eve and from each other/Santa on Christmas Day...we still waffle on this)
  • friends –invite friends without family to join in our celebrations
  • magic – take Erica for pix with Santa and have her write a letter to ensure the Christmas magic continues
  • food – make a big enough turkey for left overs! If no turkey on Christmas, make a turkey *some* time in Dec!
  • sweets – make holiday cookies/sweets every weekend (you're welcome, Jeff!!!)
  • stockings – decorate the house before the first weekend in Dec...make a stocking with Erica's name (Jeff & I have them already)
  • ornaments – make ornaments with Erica
  • appreciating – make thank you cards and mail them before New Year’s Day
  • connecting – send out Christmas cards to friends and family this year!!!
  • memorable – document *something* about the holidays in a mini album/journal everyday from Black Friday thru Christmas...also follows with this class by doing 20 minutes of something every day

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Yea! for you for posting this. I also signed up to do this with Jessica but am behind already! Printed off the 31 day prompts tonight...and hope to catch up tomorrow. Enjoy Your Christmas Traditions.

Holli said...

Here's a tradition I started after I moved here (I stole it from the Stampin' Up lady I used to know). On Christmas eve Denali opens 2 or 3 presents. 1 is always new pajamas (then she wears them to bed - so she has new jammies on for pictures the next morning). Then I sometimes get her a movie (last year I got her a christmas movie) and sometimes else small. OH and we always make sugar cookies with icing and sprinkles - then we leave those for 'Santa'. Then Santa dunks the cookies in the milk and the sprinkles will make color swirls!! We also go to Macy's and send off a list - it benefits Make-A-Wish, so you kill 2 birds with one stone there!!

Dalon said...

thanks SO much for posting this Michelle - I signed up for Jessica's class also, but like Deb I'm a bit behind ;-) I have the best intentions, but with the boys this year and part time work it's hit or miss when I can get on here BUT ... you give me hope and inspiration - thank you!!! (and I love your ideas!!)