Monday, November 9, 2009

What's the Deal with Facebook???

Do you Facebook? I don't. I'm scared of it...I'm scared it's gonna consume my world. I feel bad enough that I'm blogging and chatting online in forums. Someone please help me with this...I think I'm on the verge, but I need a push. Here's my nightmare of a story:

A friend of mine (at least I think she's a friend...I don't feel like a very good friend today, though) moved out of town in January. I found out she was pregnant, and in my mind I thought it was in the May time frame. I ask another mutual friend today when she's due and she says, "Oh, Michelle, she had the baby in September...you need to get on Facebook." I call another mutual friend and ask her why she didn't tell me and she laughed and said, "You need to get on Facebook."

I have no iphone, no blackberry, no DS, no Wii, no nothing. I didn't even know what "the Nook" was and had to ask. I might as well drive a car and break with my heels...UGH!!! Can you even believe I'm in the blogging world? I can't...

So, I guess I've answered myself...I really DO need to be on Facebook, don't I?!?

5 comments:

Debbie said...

only if you want to "waste" lots of time...

Dalon said...

honey, I don't know if I would say that you "need" to ... but let me say that everyone is on it ... and yes, it CAN BE time consuming! I have an account that I access very irregularaly ... maybe once every two weeks ... maybe once a week (ONLY on my time) - people sit on there ALL day long and post crap about what they're doing and while that's great, I'm trying to live my life with my family and enjoy the boys while they're young ... FB takes away too much time - a friend of mine recently became a grandma and while I have a FB account, she still called to tell me the baby was born ... unless a direct note is sent to you through your FB e-mail, you will still need to sign in every day to check what's going on with others ... I feel like FB is taking away from our actually talking to each other - what happened to the phone tree when exciting news happened in families??? it is a great tool, don't get me wrong, but people need to communicate - not computers ;-)

Angela said...

of course you are a friend! I love you! Don't even sweat it... moving here was like falling off the face of the earth - I haven't kept in touch either :) Facebook has helped me let people know that I am still alive. I can't wait to move back... I will be expecting a hug ;)

Holli said...

I'm no Facebook. It c.a.n. consume lots of time, if you let it. But it's a good way to keep in contact with people when life gets too busy - like everyday! I like it because I have friends all over the place, to include you. And it's hard to keep up with EVERYONE on a daily basis. It's also a good tool to get in contact with folks that you may have lost contact with over the years.

What's Cool in AK said...

Please trust your instincts on this. Facebook is indeed scary! Users end up putting way too much personal info on there and, even when they set their page to "private," they have no real control over their information. Facebook's privacy policies are wacky, they require that you use your real first and last names, they don't let you delete your account if you want to - EVER, and a couple of MIT students have shown how easily third parties can use the site for data mining.

I also don't Facebook, MySpace, tweet on Twitter, or have an iPhone. I believe that these forms of communication requiring only minimal writing or speaking, although convenient, have eroded our ability to communicate effectively and eloquently. (I wholeheartedly agree with Dalon's point about picking up the phone.)

Unlike Facebook and its other social networking counterparts, blogging encourages writing, reading, and creating thoughtful responses to what you have read.
The social pressure to use Facebook is pretty intense right now, though. It was nice to read your post and see that someone else is grappling with this issue, too.